Light Pollution Maps
- A detailed light pollution map of the UK, created by Frédéric Tapissier, president of Avex (a French organization for astronomy and information on light pollution) is at www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html
- Philip's/CfDS Dark Skies Map of Britain and Ireland (ISBN 0-540-08612-6) is a folding map of the range of sky visibility, with main roads and places shown.
- The CPRE produces an interactive Night Blight map of mainland Britain.
- The Need-Less Interactive Night Sky Simulator on www.need-less.org, created by Commission for Dark Skies member and graphic designer Dan Nixon, is a wonderful tool for searching out dark-sky sites in the UK. Just move the cursor around the country, zoom in to a location, and watch the Milky Way come and go: www.need-less.org.uk/images/ukatnightsim.swf
- An excellent light pollution map of the USA is at djlorenz.github.io/astronomy/lp2006, together with other highly detailed maps of light pollution on all continents.
- A detailed interactive map from the US National Park Service is at www.nature.nps.gov/night/skymap.cfm
- Try also www.lightpollutionmap.info (Earth Observation Group, NOAA National Geophysical Data Center and Slovenian astronomer Jurij Stare)